Home » Sudan’s Deputy Commander-in-chief Quits Khartoum Military Command to Port Sudan
Africa Military News Sudan

Sudan’s Deputy Commander-in-chief Quits Khartoum Military Command to Port Sudan

Shams al-Din al-Kabashi, a member of the Sovereign Council and Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Sudanese Armed Forces, appeared on Saturday at the Wadi Saydna military base in the far north of Omdurman, for the first time after the eruption of the conflict with the Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

The Sudanese military has not disclosed the details of Al-Kabashi’s departure from the General Command of the Armed Forces headquarters, where he had been since the commencement of the conflict on April 15th. Instead, military media released videos showing his arrival at the Wadi Saydna base, where he inspected troops, and subsequently departed for Port Sudan, the temporary administrative capital after the breakout of clashes in Khartoum.

Al-Kabashi had previously been out of reach for several months amid rumours suggesting his illness inside the army command in Khartoum. RSF leaders claim to have the General Command headquarters under siege, asserting that army generals are unable to leave the premises.

Addressing a gathering of military personnel in Wadi Saydna, Al-Kabashi declared, “Victory is imminent,” and emphasized the formidable resistance the RSF faced in trying to capture the Karari area in Omdurman, referring to their recent attempts to control the military airbase.

He reassured civilians that their neighbourhoods, homes, currently under the RSF’s control, would be reclaimed shortly. He reiterated the armed forces’ commitment to suppress the “militia’s rebellion” and achieve victory in both Khartoum and across the entire nation.

Al-Kabashi commended the role of the Wadi Saydna Military Region in repelling the RSF’s attacks and stated that his visit was part of an inspection of the ongoing operational situation initiated by the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan.

He expressed his appreciation for the progress of military operations and the dedication of officers, non-commissioned officers, and soldiers in the “Battle of Dignity.” He extended his condolences to the civilian and military casualties and expressed gratitude to the Sudanese people who stood united with the armed forces in this endeavour.

Two months ago, on August 25, the armed forces evacuated the Commander-in-Chief and Chairman of the Sovereign Council, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, from the General Command headquarters in Khartoum. His departure from the general command raised questions about the claims of the paramilitary forces that they imposed a strict siege of the military areas.

In September, the RSF escalated their military operations against the General Command headquarters, subjecting it to heavy artillery and guided missile attacks, leading to the burning and destruction of several fortified buildings.

The conflict between the Sudanese military and the RSF has claimed hundreds of lives and displaced millions of people. The RSF is a paramilitary force led by Hemetti, who was also the deputy chairman of the Sovereign Council. The RSF has been accused of human rights abuses in Darfur and other parts of Sudan.

Source : Sudan Tribune